What is the outcome for someone who suffered a massive stroke at 42 and has now developed blood clots in lung?

Question by kelly G: What is the outcome for someone who suffered a massive stroke at 42 and has now developed blood clots in lung?
My ex husband had a massive stroke 2weeks ago Sunday. We didnt think he would make it. He did get a little better and was starting rehab. to get use of left side again. Today we find out that he has blood clots in his left leg, lungs and around his heart. Does anyone have any experience with this. I have a 9 year old, this is a roller coaster for him. I dont know what to think anymore.

Best answer:

Answer by adbz777
First thing, if he is in the hospital make sure that they are giving him either lovenox injections or coumadin. These are both blood thinners and prevent blood from clotting to form any more than he already has. Second they do make medications called “clot busters” these can take care of the clots he already has. It is very important that the clots in his body right now are not dislodged, that means very little physical activity, if any at all. You have to depend on the meds and the doctors to take care of him. And of course the Good Man above will do the rest! He is in a very critical state, I can definately tell ya that for sure!! My prayers will be with you and your child!!!

What do you think? Answer below!

  1. Reply
    Eggchick May 16, 2013 at 12:55 am

    My mother had blood clots in her lungs and also had a heart attack from a blood clot. I also had a blood clot in my leg after suffering a cardiac arrest.

    The doctors will have put your ex husband on blood thinning drugs immediately upon finding the blood clots. This will help prevent the clots from getting larger and will reduce the risk of embolization or the clots moving through the arteries into the heart or or brain. Now all they can to is wait to see if the blood clots are reabsorbed by the body before one of them breaks free and goes somewhere where it will cause more damage. It sounds like a blood clot was probably the cause of the stroke. If the blood clots dissolve before they move and cause another stroke or heart attack, your ex has a good chance, but will have to take blood thinners the rest of his life.

  2. Reply
    norton g May 16, 2013 at 1:12 am

    A massive stroke at age 42 is unusual. Strokes are either due to a clot in a brain artery or a rupture of the brain artery with hemorrhage. In younger persons, sometimes your husband’s age, the stroke may be caused by a bleed from a congenital abnormality – namely an aneurysm which bleeds rather than a clot. Any clots going to the brain would come from the left side of the heart. Your husband is rather young to develop a clotted brain carotid artery that is sometimes the cause of a brain stroke. After the stroke, your husband then lies almost immobile in bed. That leads to clots forming in the deep veins of the leg, and when he becomes physically active, one of these clots can break loose and travel to the right side of the heart and then only to the lungs, not the around the heart (in the pericardial sac). If there is blood in the pericardialm sac, it usually is from a tear in the heart muscle wall, sometimes associated with heart muscle from a heart attack.
    One has to wonder if your husband has what is known as a hypercoagulation state where his blood clots easily and too fast. Risk factors that further increase clotting include obesity, recent surgery, and cancer. Clinical examples of coagulation abnormalities may occur from single or multiple abnormalities and include both inherited and acquired defects. Laboratory testing undertaken at the time of acute thrombosis is often inaccurate or difficult to interpret. Individuals are best tested when they are not taking anticoagulants. Treatment of patients with either inherited or acquired abnormalities usually requires heparin compounds followed by warfarin, but the length of therapy has not yet been settled. Asymptomatic individuals with underlying hypercoagulability may not require treatment except in clot-promoting situations such as trauma, recent surgery, or use of venous access devices. The detection of one abnormality may no longer suffice because multiple defects can be found frequently. In patients with clotting and underlying risk factors, such as malignancy or surgery, an assessment for hypercoagulability should be considered.
    When your husband’s present, grave health status is past you might consider having your son checked to see if his blood coagulates normally and he does not have any genetic basis for too rapid clotting.
    My best wishes, sympathy, and prayers are with your husband and you and your son.

  3. Reply
    boogeywoogy May 16, 2013 at 1:35 am

    Most hospitals with a pediatric unit have a “Child Life Specialist”. These professionals exist to make a kid’s life easier by using terms a child can understand; they “speak their language”.
    I would ask for a consultation with the child life specialist along with the chaplain (whether or not you are religious– they can be a great support). Hospitals have these services at no charge, even for kids whose parent is ill and the child isn’t a patient himself.

    Leave a reply

    Facebook Auto Publish Powered By : XYZScripts.com